The Youth Steering Committee is a fun and informative program for young people in high school who have a passion for animals and an interest in learning about policy and campaign strategy related to animal welfare and the environment. HAP is forming a youth steering committee for students in grade 10-12 during the 2023-2024 school year. The Youth Steering Committee is looking for students who have a passion for animals and an interest in learning about policy and campaign strategy related to animal welfare and the environment. We focus on connecting teens who care about animals and the environment to developing speaking and advocacy skills. Students will participate in a wide range of activities involved in executing animal and environmental campaigns.
Meetings will be held monthly from September – May, which will generally take place on the second Saturday of every month at 10 am at the East Liberty public library.
- Enrolled in high school (grades 10 – 12) for the duration of the 2023 – 2024 school year
- Interest in animal and environmental welfare, legislative advocacy, and volunteerism
- Able to work both independently and in groups
- Fill out the application form by June 30, 2023.
- Have a community member (not an immediate family member) submit a letter of recommendation (ex. former teacher, tutor, coach, or religious leader)
Information session and interview
- Attend a virtual information session with a parent or supporting adult
- Applicants making it through the initial application process will need to attend a virtual one-on-one interview with a parent or supporting adult present as a final step in the process.
- $1000 stipend upon successful completion of the Youth Steering Committee term in June 2024
- Mentorship from the region’s leading animal and environmental welfare organization
- Professional development
- Letters of recommendation upon successful completion of the program
- A network of peers and like-minded individuals that will extend past the steering committee program
Humane Action Pittsburgh strives to provide reasonable accommodations for our program participants, volunteers, and staff. If you have any concerns about the application process, or would like to discuss an accommodation, please connect with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.