OUR VISION is a world without animal suffering where all beings are treated with compassion.
OUR MISSION is to advance the protection of all animals by empowering people to affect change through education, policy, and community action.
HAP is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusivity. As such, all of HAP’s employees and senior leadership are CARE REDI certified through Companions and Animals for Reform and Equity (C.A.R.E.). If you would like to know more, please visit their website here.
Our Core Values
SETTING THE STANDARD
By educating ourselves and the community on the most pressing animal issues of our time and recommending common sense solutions that decision-makers rely on, we set the standard in animal protection to prevent suffering for all animals. We advance our cause with proven methods —progress over perfection, changing course when needed, being prepared, and staying well connected.
BUILDING TRUSTED RELATIONSHIPS
Effective advocacy happens by building relationships grounded in cooperation and a shared vision. HAP values inclusivity and professional etiquette. We welcome new friends and allies without regard to race, faith, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
We set high expectations and achieve them by working with exceptional people who bring their wide array of talents and passion for animal well-being. In order to develop a free and creative culture, we respect the opinions, ideas, and feelings of others. We are committed to our team and fulfilling our mission by supplying the tools for individuals to become remarkable leaders and advocates.
We are stronger together. Collaborating with colleagues, sponsors, legislators, and leaders in business, faith, and advocacy, we find that animal protection is well within reach. With enthusiastic support of each other, we reach goals that we only dared to dream.
We establish ambitious, clearly defined goals, and work in a long term and systematic manner to realize our objectives and create positive outcomes. We measure our success by our ability to protect animals and allow them to live free of harm, always using effective altruism as a guiding principle.
Humane Action Pittsburgh’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
Humane Action Pittsburgh’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement At Humane Action Pittsburgh, we are committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace for all staff and volunteers: one where gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education, or disability is valued and respected.
We do not tolerate discrimination and strive to present equal opportunities for volunteering and advancement in all of our departments and programs. We respect and view diverse life experiences, backgrounds, cultures, and heritages as vital strengths to the organization. We are committed to modeling diversity and inclusion within the nonprofit sector and maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all.
To uphold diversity, equity, and inclusion, Humane Action Pittsburgh strives to:
• See diversity, inclusion, and equity as connected to our mission and critical to ensuring the well-being of our staff, volunteers, communities, and environment.
• Acknowledge and work to dismantle any inequities within our policies, systems, programs, and services.
• Explore potential underlying, unquestioned assumptions that interfere with inclusiveness and update and report on our organization’s progress frequently.
• Understand how inequities impact our organization’s work and how best to address and advocate in a way that is consistent with our mission.
• Help to challenge assumptions about what it takes to be a strong leader at our organization, and lead with respect, humility, and empowerment.
• Practice and encourage transparent communication in all interactions.
• Commit time and resources to expand more diverse leadership within our board, staff, committee, and advisory bodies.
• Expect all employees and volunteers to embrace this diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) policy and to practice it within workplace interactions, programs, and other organization activities.
Humane Action Pittsburgh abides by the following action items to help promote diversity and inclusion in our workplace:
• Pursue continuous cultural competency throughout our organization by finding learning opportunities for staff and volunteers to be involved in.
• Create and support programs and policies that foster partnerships that reflect the diversity of our society.
• Expand programs and opportunities for underrepresented constituents by connecting with other organizations committed to diversity and inclusion.
• Develop a system for being more intentional and conscious of bias during the recruiting, promoting, or evaluating process.
• Challenge systems that create inequality and advocate for policies that promote diversity, inclusion, and equity.
• Center equity in all of our organization’s functions, activities,and communications.